CONGRESBURY HISTORY GROUP
Autumn Programme 2017 (September to December) Please   Note:      All   meetings   at   7.30pm   for   7.45pm   prompt   start   are   held   in the Methodist Hall unless otherwise stated. New members/visitors welcome – Annual Membership £10 or £3 per meeting. Contact information:   Chair Chris Short 01934 833764 Secretaries: Ann Gunner 01934 852701                                                              Anne Dimmock         01934 838891 Treasurer: Geoff Pearson 01934 833485
Wednesday 20 September A   walk   along   Hadrian’s   Wall       -      In   2013   well   known   local   author   Ben   Kane   and two   fellow   writers   undertook   this   walk   dressed   in   full   Roman   kit,   to   raise   funds   for charity.   A light, humorous talk and slide show, with some history. Wednesday 18 October My   Family   and   Jack   the   Ripper    -      We   are   pleased   to   welcome   back   Pat   Hase who   will   entertain   us      with   a   talk   on   the   social   history   of   the   19 th    century,   which compares   the   lives   of   two   women,   one   in   Bristol   and   the   other   in   London   –   and we   will   find   out   all   about   Pat’s   possible   connection   to   the   notorious   serial   killer!     This talk will be preceded by a short AGM. Wednesday 15 November The   Lost   Cottages   of   Cheddar   Gorge   -    This   area   has   long   attracted   artists and   photographers   who   have   left   us   with   a   remarkable   record   of   the   community living   around   Gough’s   Caves   during   the   19 th    and   early   20 th    centuries.      Although most   of   this   has   now   gone,   tonight’s   talk   by   Sue   Shaw   will   help   bring   it   back   to life, through the many images captured by those early cameras. Wednesday 13 December Christmas   Dinner   at   Mendip   Spring   Golf   and   Country   Club    –   We   hope   you can join us for this celebration meal. Further details at our October meeting.
© Lorem ipsum dolor sit Nulla in mollit pariatur in, est ut dolor eu eiusmod lorem
Walk - Around The Village
12. Broad Street. The unusual width suggests it was a planned arrangement for the weekly market and annual fair (granted in 1227 and lasting until this century). Fair day was the highlight of the year when  farmers bought and sold sheep and cattle. Horses were run back and forth to show off their paces and hawkers and peddlers sold their wares. You could even get your teeth extracted in the street! In July 1968 the river overflowed its banks and water in Broad Street covered the top of the telephone box, which was by the trees. 13. 14th/15th century Market Cross - Congresbury's best known landmark and a meeting place for several hundreds of years. 14. The Ship and Castle. The sign on this mainly 18th century building  is the coat of arms of Bristol and in 1658 the Inn was called the Bristol Arms. The sign is a reminder that, from the. end of the 16th century until 1921, Bristol Corporation owned a large part of Congresbury. The rents and profits from the manor were used to support Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Bristol. 15. Congresbury Bridge. Both the course of the river and the bridge were moved further from the Ship and Castle in 1924 when the bridge replaced at least two earlier structures. 16. The River Walk. The first field you enter is Congresbury's Millennium Green which is linked, with a bridge, to more land on the south side of the  river. Looking north from here you can see Cadbury Hill, where there is an important Iron Age and post Roman hill fort. 17. The Weir which for several centuries was called "Tumbling Weir." Close by is the site of one of Congresbury's mill sites (possibly one of the two mentioned in Domesday Book), although little now remains except the millpond. Surprisingly Congresbury was part of the iron industry, from c1725 to c1750, when this mill was used to turn iron bars into rods for nail making. 18. The Birches is an elegant early 18th century Georgian house. Trees inhibit the view of the house during the summer. 19. The Plough, another of Congresbury's many pubs. The name reflects that this was once a smallholding. 20. Yeo Meads. A house is shown in this position on the parish map of 1739. At the rear is a 300 year old Cedar of Lebanon suggesting that part of the house at least existed at the end of the 17th century.
21. The Methodist Chapel was constructed in 1878 to seat 150 people. The porch is a recent addition. 22. The Old Rectory. This is probably an early 17th century building "modernised" in the 18th century with the addition of a Georgian facade. 23. The War Memorial Hall, constructed in 1920, commemorates Congresbury men and women who served and died in the two World Wars. 24. The Old Inn. The building possibly dates back to the 16th century but there is no evidence to suggest it was a pub until much later.  The cottages to the left of the Old Inn were all built after 1739 with the nearest built in 1996! 25. Appleton House, another house shown on the 1739 map.
CONGRESBURY HISTORY GROUP