The Bristol ConnectionIn 1548 Edward VI seized the manor from the Bishop of Bath and Wells. By 1569 John Carr of Bristol, a wealthy soap maker, owned the manor and later bequeathed it to found a hospital for, poor boys of Bristol and of Congresbury manor, so benefiting many Congresbury boys. The hospital survives as the Bristol school, Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Its trustees, originally Bristol’s Mayor and Aldermen, oversaw the manor’s affairs from the 16th to the 20th century.
Early photo of the Ship & Castle
The long connection with Bristol can still be seen, as the Ship and Castle’s sign features Bristol’s coat of arms ).